The regional center, located on the banks of the Ingul river, with
the area near 10,3 thousands hectares. Data like this you can find
in every guide. But you will hardly find that Kirovohrad
is the Town of Brides. You
will find the most beautiful Ukraine brides
over here 'cause its women are the most beautiful out of the country.
On the 11th of January 1752, planning to repress liberation movement, to protect southern
borders of the Russian Empire and to expand estates, the empress Elizabeth
signed the edict to build the fortress. On the 18th of June 1754 the
ceremonial laying of the St. Elizabeth fortress was held on the right bank
of the Ingul.
During that period the Cossack regiment was situated here and successfully
defended the fortress and nearby lands from conquerors and mutineers. But
very soon monotonous military way of life bored Cossacks and they began to
think about leaving the fortress. Then Elizabeth ordered to resettle the
most beautiful girls from all the Russian Empire into the fortress. It was
difficult not to execute the order of the empress and soon the population of
the fortress has risen greatly.
Till 1783 the borders of the Russian Empire were expanded, the St.
Elizabeth fortress lost its strategic importance and was disarmed. Shortly
after that it was liquidated as military unit. In 1784 the fortress with the
suburbs was entitled to be called a town - Elizavetgrad.
And the town began to meet migrants cheerfully, especially merchants
and factory owners. This stimulated the development of commerce and
industry. The sugar-refinery, which was built here, was one of the first
plants in the Russian Empire. The tannery and the paper-mill appeared in the
town during this period.
Elizavetgrad was advancing and shortly after that widened its borders
onto the left bank of the Ingul. In the 18th century Elizavetgrad didn't
amaze visitors: one-stored buildings, sometimes on the stone base, which
were thatched or tiled, with a small gardens nearby. Only the elaborate
wooden churches stood out against the background of gray buildings and green
leafage. But for the ruthless fires of 1798 and 1833 - 1834 they would exist
till nowadays. Such occasions stimulated local authorities to build of
stone. The Preobrazhenskaya Church, the Znamenskaya Church and others were
rebuilt of very stone.
Since 1829 Elizavetgrad became a center of military settlements in the
south of Ukraine. Soon the building of the cantonment was set in. Tsar
Nicholas I held the ceremony of laying the mansion-house and the civil
buildings. Parades were given in the town in presence of tsar family and
superior military dignitaries. These parades didn't consist only in
soldiering. They needed a cultural program too. Thus in the first part of
the 19th century the cultural life of Elizavetgrad rose to the
unprecedentedly high level. Since 1830 the theatre troupes from Kharkov and
Poltava began to come to Elizavetgrad. The first performances staged in
wooden booths and in early 1840-s the theatre premise was built in Bolshaya
Perspektivnaya Street (present Karl Marx Street). And during 13-20 September
1847 exactly in this premise the great Hungarian composer Franz Liszt gave
his last concerts.
Alexander Pushkin visited Elizavetgrad three times over 1820-1824.
Till the second part of the 19-th century Elizavetgrad became the town with
"european face". Buildings changed for the better. There appeared street
lamps and cube. A new bridge over Ingul was built. People called
Elizavetgrad "a little Paris". In 1850 the central park was laid out on the
spot of present Kirov's square.